These Are The 14 Most Incredible Animals We Encountered In 2014
Occasionally it”s difficult to believe that we”re still making new discoveries generation after generation. Thinking back on how much has changed in the world over one life can feel daunting, but it makes sense when you consider how large the world is.
Technology and social changes apart, we”re also still learning new things and finding astonishing facts about the animal kingdom. These 14 critter meetings from 2014 left us with our jaws on the floor – not only because of how wonderful the world is, but also because of terrifying nature can really be.
1. Consider, for instance, the South American Goliath birdeater spider, which is about the same size as a little puppy.
2. This stunning blind owl seemed to have stars in his eyes when we met with him for the very first time.
3. This adorable new species of round-eared shrews are considered to be the lowest strain of sengi. Amazingly, they”re really more closely related to elephants than they’re rodents.
4. These once extinct Northern Bald Ibises were brought by a group of Austrian scientists back to life. They were driven to extinction in Europe 400 years past.
5. Formally the world”s greatest insect, the Giant Dobsonfly was discovered in China and now resides in your nightmares.
6. It might look like an alien creature, but a fisherman came across this basket before this year, starfish off the shore of Singapore.
7. A very adorable, and exceptionally uncommon, set of double elephants were born in Pongola, South Africa at the Pongola Game Reserve.
8. This 18-inch mantis a Florida fisherman captured shrimp – talk about a jumbo shrimp cocktail
9. Usually solitary creatures, this very non-stealthy oarfish was seen swimming by some kayakers in Baja, Mexico.
10. This is most likely the only camel who wasn”t camera self-conscious, spitting, or biting when some tourists needed to shoot a selfie.
11. A group of fisherman reeled in an uncommon megamouth shark in Japan.
12. Evidence of how little we understand about the deep blue sea, a rare 10 foot, 200 pound a fisherman off the coast of Texas picked up giant squid in the Gulf of Mexico.
13. As if to one up the giant squid, the second one found, this colossal squid, was detected defrosting in Antarctic waters. It definitely lived up to its name weighing in at over 770 pounds.
14. 100% actual creature, and this terrifying, adorable seemed to be component-deer, part-vampire. It was sighted in Afghanistan before this year.
(via Discovery News)
I can”t wait to see what awesome things our animal friends have in store for us in 2015!
Need to see cool creature discoveries from 2014? Check it out!