These Awesome Facts About Space Will Leave You In Awe.
Space: The undiscovered country. The final frontier. The last vestige of explorers. And, yes, the setting of Star Trek.
Space is the biggest enigma and, despite the fact that it literally encircles us, it”s the one we blow off the most. When was the last time you sat around and pondered how you”re sitting on a planet at the center of the largest “ocean” in existence?
We did some. These 19 jaw-dropping facts about space might only have you wanting more from the universe. Simply don”t attempt to construct your own Starship Enterprise or anything of the kind. They”re not actual… though.
1. It requires a proton close to 170,000 YEARS to travel from the surface, and centre of the sun to the then just 8 minutes to reach Earth.!
2. Spaghettification is what scientists call the effect of stretching out like spaghetti and falling through a black hole. Seriously.
3. The sun encompasses up 99.8% of the mass of our solar system, which is 1,989,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg.
4. Every 14-15 years, some of Saturn”s rings seemingly vanish due to their comparative thinness to the planet”s body.
5. Footprints on the moon would continue forever if it weren”t for meteoroids, asteroids, and the like. There”s no wind to disturb them.
6. More solar energy reaches our atmosphere every 1.5 hours than we used in all of 2001 combined.
7. There”s a star trapped in the glare of a supernova for the previous 21 years. Given the supernova is 11 million light years away though, it”s quite old news.
8. If you subscribe to the Bing Bang Theory (which was essentially shown in recent experiments), then we”re all made from stardust. Every time there was a supernova, newer, more complicated atoms were created. These are carbon atoms, which is what we”re composed of.
9. Scientists supported that dung beetles use the Milky Way to browse. Scientists found the beetles have the ability to transfer their dung balls in a straight line when it’s overcast when the sky is clear, but cannot.
10. There”s an asteroid like Saturn in our solar system that’s rings called Chariklo.
11. Jupiter is 2.5 times larger than all other planets in our solar system combined.
12. A gas cloud has enough ethanol (alcohol) to fill 400 trillion pints of beer.
13. Something the size of Mars probably collided with Earth about 4.5 billion years ago, creating the moon.
14. Our seven fellow planets could fit end to end within our Moon”s orbit around Earth.
15. As of this writing, we identified 1822 new planets outside our solar system in the last 20 years
16. Astronomers found a giant ring around Saturn in 2009. At a diameter of 300 Saturns end to end, scientists consider the source of the substances originate from Saturn”s moon, Phoebe, which orbits within the ring.
17. There are not any sounds in space, or at least none you could hear. At best, a couple atoms might have the ability to hit on your ear drums.
18. A hexagonal cloud 20,000 miles in diameter exists at Saturns north pole.
19.) Space sounds super creepy. Listen to this for yourself…
Congratulations! You now understand more about space than 99.7% of the world. Simply don”t point out factually incorrect parts of sci-fi movies when observing it with buddies. They may dislike you for it.